Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Middy's Book Reviews: The Blender Girl- Smoothies

Hey y'all! I said that I would start doing my own brand of book reviews, right? I love me some smoothies. There is no denying that business. So when I had the opportunity to review Tess Masters' The Blender Girl: Smoothies, I jumped. I will be honest when I say that I have not been aquainted with Master's Bender Girl blog. I just know that I love a good smoothie, and I felt that she could get me there.

I enjoyed this book- especialy the organization and the fluidity. Masters first breaks down tips and strategies for the best smoothie possible, which includes these how-to's: choose premium produce, freeze your fruit, savor with salt, and push the probiotics. She then breaks down categories in which choose from: detox, energizing, protein (which will forever be BROtein in my mind) rich, and immunity. She is very thorough in her explanations, and also gives sound reason to back them.

Now to the best part- the recipies!! There are 100 listed in this book, and she breaks it down into flavor categories: Light and Fruity, Clean and Green, an Exotic Side, and Dessert. I will say that I dabbled in the Light and Fruity and Dessert sections. I'm not calling myself chicken (okay I totally am), but I still haven't come around to adding all the "extra stuff" to the smoothie (any kind of leafy green, seeds, etc). I know I will one day, but I just like my smoothies fruity with some peanut butter or chocolate powder thrown in to make it snazzy. The recipies in this book are very simplistic (as a smoothie recipie should be) and easy to follow. There are a few that I know that I will never make, but there are still a few that I have tabbed that I will definitely try in the future. My favorites so far are: Pink Cooler, Pineapple Kiwi Cavalcade (minus the basil), and the Strawberry Kiwi Candy. I totally forgot to take pictures (are you really surprised?!), but when I get going again, I'll try my best to remember!

Finally, she breaks it down once again in the final chapter, "the smoothie pantry." Here she talks about essential ingredients; including liquids, greens, spices, herbs, and superfoods. Each ingredient has a small blurb about how to purchase, prep, store, and pair. It's a solid breakdown and makes sense of why you're putting hemp and chia seeds with your kale in your strawberry mango smoothie.

Overall, I feel that I will be reaching for this book many times in the future. I do feel inspired to explore other smoothie outlets and branch out. Now, I won't get too crazy, but I may start adding avocado to my smoothies sooner than I'm willing to admit!

Middy's rating: 7 out of 10 (still looking for a rating object thingy. Y Y'ALL NO COMMENT?!?)

I received this book from www.bloggingforbooks.org for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment