Monday, October 26, 2015

Sex as a Political Condition review

Truth be told, I had no idea what to expect when I started reading this book. Living in Texas and having a basic understanding of the relationship between here and Mexico will greatly benefit the reader. And no, not the Fox news understanding, because we all know that's total crap and bias as all get out. Well, make sure you have an understanding of border towns.

The pace of the book was quite slow, leading to parts where the conversations were too long and making it feel like you were in a Quentin Tarantino movie. However, that's not saying that the dialog was pointless. It makes sense, and it fits where it needs to be. I especially love the banter between Honore and his wife. Years of being married to a complete horn dog (as are pretty much every other male in the book), has made her tongue quick and sharp. The dialogue is a little more vulgar than I personally prefer, but it wasn't shocking. Luckily, I knew just about every word in Spanish that someone would use to swear. If I didn't, Google was there for me!

I will say that I enjoyed Flores's writing style. He is very aware when a conversation should end, how many adjectives should describe a South Texas sunset, or how many word's describe a woman's "maracas." I am interested in reading his first novel, Our house on Hueco. Since Flores has just 2 novels under his belt, I look forward to reading more of his work, as I'm sure there will several!

Disclaimer: I have been generously supplied with materials in turn for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment